Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The reality of summer break

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE having summers off and having the hubs home with us, too.  I don't take that for granted for even a second. #teacherperks However, it's about a month into summer break and I'm starting to feel ready for a little bit of structure and normalcy. I can't be the only ones with kids that are starting to bicker a little more, a house that's a little messier, and patience levels that are dropping at a rapid pace. Like, um, send help!
 
Signs of summer break {with 4 kids}:
 
1. You've cleaned your house no less than three times a day and it looks worse than ever.
 
2. It's almost better to wear shoes in the house to avoid sand getting between your toes. Not kidding.
 
3. The idea of a homemade meal is non-existent. In fact, the idea of a meal not cooked on the BBQ is almost non-existent.
 
4. There are no less than 2-3 loads of laundry done each day.
 
5. World records for food consumption are being achieved!
 
6. Starbucks baristas have your iced coffee ready for you mid-morning, each day.
 
7. If you hear, "mom, watch this" one more time, your eye balls may, literally, pop out!!
 
8. If you hear, "I need a snack" one more time, you just might lose it, all together!
 
9. You've put enough gas in your vehicle to make a trip around the globe. And back.
 
10. You start dreaming of pumpkin lattes, cardigans, football, and cozy fires.
 

Okay, maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself here. But, for real, there are definitely things I'm missing about the school year.
 
How about when my 10-year old looks and me and says, "so, uh, what was I supposed to learn by sitting up in my room?" (in the sassiest tone imaginable)!? #heavenhelpusall
 
Or, my three year old daughter, who has mastered the eye roll, hip pop and, "I don't WANT to!".
 
So, yeah, I think we are ready for a vacation.
 
But, we'll start with a kid-free night tonight. #holla 
 


7 comments:

  1. Oh Kelly I feel your pain and I am only at home with Xavier in the evening or weekends! lol! I think I might go crazy with all the "mommy watch this" requests! I am more than ready for an evening of adult conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I totally relate to feeling ready for structure a month into summer! I'm not a mom at this point, but I am a teacher- having summers off is great, but it gets exhausting to not have a routine! I completely relate to #10- I keep finding myself drinking tea and wearing sweaters with the a/c on. Ready for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids stay at home most days while I'm at work and seriously there is just no use in me trying to keep the house clean! Every day I'm like seriously you guys do know where the trash can is and there are two of you why is every single throw blanket out?!! Messes....but this week I have seen signs that they still like each other as they have actually sat down and played some "bored" games together as my son texted it to me. Maybe we should be working on vocabulary! Hang in there and have a great date night...we are doing the same tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain and summer 10000000%. Today I was thinking: Ahhh I think a schedule sounds good....as I cleaned my kitchen for the second time in a day. I'm not quite ready for fall but I am ready for a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Halfway through the summer mama! You can do it! It has to be tough with four, but you got this! I've given up on a clean home with one toddler, she's that bad with making a mess.

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I love this! While I homeschool, I can totally identify with the snack one! My youngest asks for a snack every half hour! It drives me bonkers!

    Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop).

    Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have kids but, as a teacher on summer break I can relate. It seems like I'm just creating more work for myself!

    ReplyDelete