Monday, June 29, 2015

Our {HOT, HOT} weekend


If you are reading this from somewhere in the Pacific Northwest, you can commiserate with how stinkin HOT it's been around here. Serious. I don't remember a heat wave (or drought) that has lasted this long, especially so early in the summer.

I know many of you in warmer areas of the country are laughing at our complaints, but we aren't set up for this type of heat. Air conditioning is a luxury item and many people don't have it around here, considering this weather is rare! We are lucky to have a large portable unit downstairs, but our upstairs stays roasting hot. And it's pretty darn miserable when trying to sleep!

So back to the weekend.....

the hubs and our oldest son were gone at football camp all week. This was on the other side of the state (the much hotter...if you can imagine, side). Straight from there, they headed to "Hoopfest", which is the largest 3-on-3 basketball tournament in the world (yes, WORLD)! I was left with the younger 3 for six straight days. Needless to say, I wanted to stay busy.

Friday, we met one of my best friends, and 2 of her 3 kiddos, at the zoo.  Brett's friend was with us that day, and we had a blast! I thought that it would be packed, but amazingly, it wasn't.





After naps, I took the kids over to my parent's house for a playdate with some of our friends. They were out of town, but we enjoyed some pool time in the heat. Sadly, I didn't take a single pic!

I did, however, get this pic from Adam. They were having the time of their lives.



Saturday morning, I woke up at 5:45am, got in a workout, and even had time for some coffee and reading before the kids woke up. The first one didn't get up until 7:30am. It was glorious and much needed. If I could guarantee my kids sleeping in every day, I'd be happy to get up and be productive before them.



After showers and baths, we headed down to the Farmer's Market to walk around. Brett was excited to bring a few dollars of his own, to spend and I was looking forward to fresh produce and berries.

Molly's bow situation is out of control. She refused to let me fix it and it just kept slipping further and further down on her face. #pickyourbattleswisely




Some of you may have seen this pic on my Instagram. This girl. I realized that so many of my pics are of her, but lately, she's been my only willing subject. I'll take what I can get!


And on the way, mommy treated herself to a Starbucks drink because, well, five days of single parenting doesn't even need an explanation.



And then I got more pictures of my boy, but this time at Hoopfest. How cute are they?!




Temps over there were 100+ degrees, so players were sitting in front of fans, attempting to stay cool.






The kids and I headed over to a friend's house for an afternoon/evening of swimming and playing. These are some of my favorite people, more like family than friends.










Born just 2 months apart, these two are destined to be together forever.

Brylie + Gavin



I should have known that we'd have at least one rough night while Adam was away. Saturday night, our house was SO hot and the kids couldn't get comfortable. So, naturally, they all needed in my bed. The last thing that sounds good in heat is to cuddle, but that's what they did. From 2am until morning. Ahhhh! Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep. Brett was there, too, but was too sleepy for a morning selfie.




This picture makes me dizzy just looking at it. I was trying to show the yummy goodness from the Farmer's market. We have berries coming out of our eyeballs.



After church Sunday morning, I headed to my parents house with the kids. It was just me and them, but it was really relaxing. Brylie napped, my other two swam and I read magazines and drank coffee. This lasted for 2 hours and was much needed.

Don't let the hazy skies fool you. It was scorching hot and humid. Blech.






The evening hours were nothing that I'd like to remember. At one point, I almost took a video, but then realized my kids wouldn't find it funny at all. The three of them had meltdowns during dinner, and I had to load them up in the car, kicking and screaming (literally), drive home without even being able to hear myself think, and unload them the same way. It's safe to say that once they were all in bed, I finally look one deep breath and thanked God that my weekend was over and my hubby would be home soon!!
Whew. And that's a wrap!
Linkups: Linkups: Biana, Meghan, Kristi, Meg, Erin, Elizabeth, Ashley

7 comments:

  1. Can I be one of your kids? You guys always have so much fun! And yay for Hubby coming back home. I think you might deserve more than just a Starbucks drink ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mornings like Saturday - it's the best to get up and get stuff done! The farmer's market looked great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in Vancouver and I can totally relate to this freak heatwave we are having. We didn't leave our pool either. We had 65% humidity yesterday it was crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never even thought about you guys not having a/c....I really can't imagine! The humidity and heat together..no fun. Prayers for a smoother week and some cooler temps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure hope it cools off for you! Yay for your husband being home soon. Looks like you still managed to have some fun this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man you had a productive Saturday!! The zoo sounds so fun!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for the heat! How miserable. We're in the south so we're used to the heat, but that doesn't mean we want to be out and about in it for long period either. Glad the weekend is over for you, sounds like a fun but hot and tiring one.

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete