Monday, June 15, 2015

A peek into our home: The yard

 
I'm linking up with Andrea at Momfessionals for another Show & Tell Tuesday. This time, we are sharing our yards and outdoor spaces. I can't wait to scroll through the other blogs and oooh and ahhh over them!
 
We've owned our home for 6.5 years and it has been a constant work in progress. We didn't buy new construction, so we were working with the landscaping choices of the previous owners. Some of it, we loved. The rest, not so much. Last summer, we took down 6 large cedars in the backyard and did some major renovation, including the addition of a new big toy and batting cage. This year, I'm happy to report that we had nothing major to tackle. We beautified some areas (especially our batting cage) and obviously have a lot of maintenance, but other than that, our plan is to just truly enjoy the yard this summer.
 
I thought I'd start in the front and work my way back. Here is our house. By the time I went out to take pictures, the evening sun was already creating weird shadows. Sorry about that! My girls are also like leeches and won't leave my side for even a second. When I told them I was running out front for a picture, they hopped on bikes and scooters to follow me down the driveway. Ahhh!!
 
And how about that Seattle sun?! It was in the upper 80's today (and for what seems like the entire month), so we are totally loving our outside time!
 












I change this hanging chalkboard, seasonally. This was my spring board, and I'll be changing it for Brylie's birthday party this weekend.
 

 
And on to the backyard....
 
Because it's been unseasonably dry and warm for this time of year, our grass is already getting a little brown. The hubs is not too happy about that. If you look straight back, our house is on a protected green belt that will never be built on. That was one of the most appealing things when we bought our house. We have total privacy and we love, love, love it!


 
In the back right corner, we have a big toy. This sucker has gotten hours and hours and hours of use! The kids are asking for a treehouse up in those trees. Maybe a project for next summer?


The back left corner of our yard is the batting cage. We've spent a lot of time cleaning and beautifying this area in the past few weeks. There were tons of weeds and no ground cover, but we (and by we, I mean Adam) hauled 5 yards of crushed rock to lay on the bottom. We cleared away weeds and laid bark around the entire outside. I love the contrast of the grey and brown.
 

Back to the main part of our yard, the trampoline sits just off of the patio on the far right side of our lawn. I'd say this is the most used toy that we own. It's good for all ages and wears my kids out!! This was their joint Christmas gift and probably the best investment we've made!
 
 
And I just couldn't help myself. The kids were all jumping together so nicely. No arguing and big smiles. I think that calls for a group picture. Am I right?! ;-)


 
This picture is taken from our patio, looking to the back left of our yard. We have a detached garage in our backyard. This was another selling point, as well. It's used as a bonus/exercise/storage area. My hubby holds football meetings here, we use it for working out and playing pop-a-shot basketball, ping pong and watching movies in the summer. I'm sure it will get even more use as the kids get older and need a fun hang out place.



 
The area in front of our detached garage gets used for basketball, riding bikes, drawing with chalk or just generally, playing. It's such a great space because the driveway goes from the very back of our yard to the very front, so it's perfect for riding bikes and scooters.




A few other details from our yard:
 
The sandbox, built by Adam about 4 summers ago, has also been an amazing investment. Brett spends at least 1 hour a day in here! He walks in the door from school, goes straight to the backyard and hops in the sandbox. Funny, huh!?
 
 
This is where we try to eat dinner most nights in the summer. Well, every meal for that matter.



 
And a picture from our backyard, looking up the side yard. Funny that I just happened to catch a car driving by! This is where we store our garbage cans. Lovely. And you can see my raised flower beds on the right. My rhubarb is growing out of control!!!





So there it is! The yard in all it's sunshiny glory! Thanks for taking a sneak peek. Can't wait to see yours!

Want to see my other Show N Tell Tuesdays:

 

26 comments:

  1. Your house and yard are just the cutest ever. I love the grey paint color on the house and all your little plants out front. The back looks like the perfect back yard to grow up in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I nominated you for a love/hate/tag post today. Play along if you want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful! Your yard is great because it's so pretty but kid friendly too. We have a greenbelt behind our house and we love it! Do you watch for little critters like I do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your backyard is so nice!! Y'all have really made it functional and pretty for your family! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! It's definitely been a work in progress!

      Delete
  5. Your house and yard are BEAUTIFUL. I just love every corner of your space. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful home, yard, and landscaping!

    Astleigh @ http://www.hillcollectionblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, I really like your backyard space!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice outdoor space. I live in WA too, and cannot believe how sunny it has been this year. We are loving being able to be outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasn't this been the best spring ever?! I keep pinching myself when I check the weather reports! Praying we will continue to have a great weather summer! =)

      Delete
  9. Everything looks so pretty! Love your yard, and the picture of the kids is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your yard is amazing. I love how it is beautifully landscaped and yet is completely obvious that it is a place for family to hang out and enjoy the outside. That group photo is precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! We do love to spend time in our yard.

      Delete
  11. Wow! Everything is so cute, I love it! Your backyard looks like kid heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! That was the goal! I hope our kids (and friends) love it!

      Delete
  12. First off, gorgeous home and property...but wait- BATTING CAGES!!!! I need that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! Worth every penny! I was tired of worrying about broken windows and balls flying over the fence! And, thank you!!

      Delete
  13. Your yard is GORGEOUS!!! I am totally jealous! hahaha Thanks so much for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your front porch is so welcoming and your yard is beautiful! It would be spending all of my time outdoors!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! You guys have an amazing backyard living space! I love that you have a batting cage in your backyard of course. That yard could not be any more perfect for life with 4 kidos!

    ReplyDelete