Tuesday, May 19, 2015

"Momfessionals"

Oh man. Time for some mom confessions, otherwise known as "momfessionals." I'm joining Andrea to tell on myself a bit for Show and Tell Tuesday!

1. I love having a DVD player in our car. I was one of those moms who swore I wouldn't let my kids watch movies in the car, but now it saves my sanity. Any long drive (which, lately, has been several times a week for baseball games), is made much quieter when the kids can watch. And I just sit in silence, soaking it up. How often do I get silence and time to myself? Um, never.

2. I forget to cut my kids toenails and fingernails. Seriously, this can't just be me! Between myself and my kids we have 100 fingernails and toenails. It's just not something that's on my mind. My sister either gets to it first (this is something that really bothers her!), or I look at their nails and they are so embarassingly long, that I immediately run to find the clippers. Which, by the way, I usually have to really search for!

3. My bathroom is almost always messy. I think I do a pretty good job of keeping my house clean. In fact, 5/7 days a week, it looks almost immaculate on the first floor, at least. But, I neglect my bathroom! It's the only place in the house where no one else goes, besides Adam and I, and I really need to get better at this. So if you come over wanting a tour of the house, I'll show you everything but my bathroom! Unless of course, you happen to be there on the one day a month when I clean it! ;-)

4. I love the kids' bath time! Usually, if Adam is home, he'll clean up dinner while I give the kids a bath. Bath time means relaxation! The kids are happy to splash around and play and I will either read or do my own thing for 30 minutes or so. Sometimes I'll clean their bathroom while I'm waiting, but that's even more enjoyable than normal because no one is hanging on my leg or wanting me to help!

5. My favorite time of day is 8pm. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my children and I love being a mom, but 8pm is when our boys head up to their rooms (they have to read for homework each night, and we make them do it upstairs). I love the silence, I love our couch, and I love spending time with Adam. We wind down and relax and will catch up on some of our favorite shows on TV. If we get home late and go straight to bed, I feel like I've missed out on my favorite part of day.

6. I hate plastic toys. There, I said it. After four kids, I've learned that most plastic toys are just junk and create clutter in the house. I'd love to get rid of all of our plastic toys and am slowing starting to donate them, when the kids aren't noticing. There are very few toys I actually find valuable....the play kitchen, the art desk, the Barbie house, legos, and dolls. Everything else just creates clutter and is hard to clean up. Advice to new parents: don't feel like you need every plastic toy out there! Kids can survive with probably half the toys that we have in our homes. And it forces them to be more creative.

7. As a reward, I'll let my kids pick out a lunchable to take to school. Gross. Have you seen the nutritional content on those puppies? I can't believe that I allow my kids to eat those, but it makes them so happy, and they are totally motivated by them!!

8. I've been known to check Brylie into childcare at the YMCA so I can read while her older siblings are in swim lessons. Most of the time I workout, but on days when I don't feel like it, I still check her in and get 30 minutes of quiet time. It's pretty awesome.

Okay, I think that's enough for now. What confessions do you have to make? I think it's safe to say that I won't be winning any "MOM OF THE YEAR" awards, any time soon!!
 
Also linked up with: Sweet Little Ones


7 comments:

  1. Oh the things we say BEFORE we become mothers :) I said the same thing about the car DVD player. Silly pre-mom self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on the DVD player in the car, we just got back from a 5 hour road trip and that baby saved our sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not the only one. Kyle and I hate clipping our daughter's nails. She won't sit still so it usually is this big production, which is her nails are probably clipped every once in a while...whoops.My mom never let me have lunchables as a kid, wish she would have, but they are so yummy and having junky food every once in awhile isn't that bad.

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've definitely forgotten about fingernails before! You're not alone!!!
    Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl....I'm totally with you on the toenails/finger nails! Carly hurt her toe last week at school and it was bleeding so she went to the nurse....she came home that night and said "mom, the nurse said you might want to cut my toenails". Ummmm..maybe..I mean come on you are 9...if they start growing over the end of your toe help a mom out and let me know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto with everyone on the DVD player. When we first got it it was for "long trips ONLY"... Now its whenever me and my hubby want to talk in peace. LOL!

    ReplyDelete