Wednesday, May 13, 2015

End-of-the-year goals


It's hard to believe that the school year is wrapping up, and summer is almost here!! It's crazy! I know everyone says it, but time has just flown by, this year. My baby is turning TWO next month, as well. I can't even comprehend that thought.
 
In an effort to try and enjoy this busy time of year, I'm going to set some goals for myself, to keep me focused and prepared to tackle what comes my way. A wise person once said, "if we fail to plan, then we plan to fail." I plan to have a great final few weeks of the school year, embrace the craziness that comes with a full baseball and swim schedule, combined with a husband that coaches said baseball team, and starts spring football practice. Sometimes I wonder how I'm going to manage to get through it, but then I do! And instead of having the "get through" it attitude, I really want to just enjoy the moments. Enjoy the craziness, the busy-ness, the dirt, the tantrums, the lack of sleep and the raw emotions of life. Because it passes quickly. And before I know it, I'll be longing to have this time back.
 
So without further ado, here are my end-of-the-year goals:

1. Complete the 21-day fix, successfully. I'm excited to share more about this soon, but my high school friend (and now MOPS friend, too!) is leading a group of us through this diet/exercise plan. I've never been big into dieting, and to be honest, I've never had to really work at my weight. Until now. No more freebie breastfeeding calories, so I got to do it the old fashioned way! I'm looking forward to this challenge, not because I have a lot of weight to lose, but I just need to jump start my body and start thinking about portions, more. Stay tuned for progress updates! And please pray that I don't lose my sanity in the process!

2. Have at least two date nights. This is SO needed! My hubby planned one for this weekend....Mariner's game and a night out in Seattle with no kids. Hello! We need to plan something local, as well. Sometimes when life is at it's busiest, we are like ships passing in the night. When we can have adult conversation, sans kids, I feel like it strengths our relationship X 1000!!!

3. Spend as much time as possible outdoors. When the kids are outside, the argue less, make less messes and are forced to either use their imaginations and/or exert energy. It's all a big fat W-I-N in my book.

4. Clean out and organize our front (attached) garage. OMGeeeee, please don't come over and look in our garage. It's been one of those projects that we've been putting off for a bit, trying to get our indoor house projects finished, and then immediately moving to the outdoor projects, when the weather got nice....because, well, it's just more fun.

5. Participate in our community garage sale. We've got quite a bit of stuff in both of our garages, that needs to be sold or donated. I feel like garage sales force you to take it out and clean it up, and if it doesn't sell, off to a donation center.

6. Clean/organize and purge files in my classroom. By this time of year, my classroom starts to feel like a tornado has come through. Work is piling up (which includes late work from those students who enjoy waiting until the last minute), the garbages are full, supplies are disorganized and files are in disarray. I want to tear it all apart and start fresh for the fall. I like to prepare all of my curriculum calendars for fall, by the end of this school year. That way, when I walk in my room, on September 8th (am I the only one who finds that ridiculously late this year?!), I have my plans laid out, and I'm ready to go!

7. Take Brett bowling. It's a long story, but he's been working really hard to earn a bowling trip with just mom and dad. I'm excited for a date day with the three of us!

8. Get the kids signed up for all of their summer activities. We try to keep the kids involved in activities all summer long, so they aren't just sitting around in front of a screen. They plan to do a couple different sports camps, VBS, Brett's doing a cooking class, and the boys are possibly doing a church camp, as well.

9. Finish the last of the spring cleaning items from the #40bagschallenge. And purge, purge, purge!!! When in doubt...donate!

10. Finish another book for the month. I'm loving carving time out of my day, to just sit with me and a book. It relaxes and refreshes me enough to get through a few more days. Usually, it's happening at the gym, while on the bike, but I've been managing to find a bit of time between activities, too.
 
Alright, fess up, who is doing this for the first time? Share your goals for the month. What will you work on to make yourself better?
 
Linkups:
 


9 comments:

  1. Nice post Kelly -- my husband and I so need to schedule a date night as well... I don't think we have had a solid 30 minutes together this week due to our kids' schedules and our work schedules! This would be a good post idea for the future... little ways to stay connected when our schedules are so crazy! I agree -- even one date night makes me feel more connected with my husband and strengthens our relationship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! It's nice if you can set up the same sitter for the same night of the month, too. Cuts down on scrambling at the last minute!

      Delete
  2. These are great goals. I am counting down the days until summer :) We are moving so I am trying to throw out a lot of stuff and trying to declutter my classroom :)
    Chelsea @ thewilliamsjourney1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree on the date night! Kyle and I hadn't had one in almost two years when we went out this last month. (no one on one dates, we'd gone to weddings). So important to have that time with your hubby.

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I know it's hard to find the time, but so important!

      Delete
  4. I love your goals and you've done so well with them! We've tried to have more date nights too and we've been doing pretty good.

    Thanks for sharing and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop.

    Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! Thanks for stopping by. Glad you are catching up on some date nights!

      Delete
  5. Awesome goals! Thanks for sharing... I need to join in on a few of them as well :) Visiting from the SHINE blog hop!

    ReplyDelete