Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Happy Birthday, Jake!

In honor of his birthday, today's post is all about our oldest boy. He's TEN!
 
Jacob Patrick.
Or, Jake, as we've always called him.
 
 
Funny story, he's never wanted to be called Jacob and when asked why (when he was little), he'd say...."because I don't like the B sound." Ha! His name has always been special to us for a couple reasons. First and foremost, it's his daddy's middle name. It also happens to be my great-great grandpa's name. It's been one of my favorite names since I was little and I love it still, to this day, despite it's popularity. In fact, I loved it when there was hardly anyone named Jake! And he fits it perfectly. He's definitely a Jake.
 
And a very quick, abbreviated birth story. I wasn't due until the end of April, but went into labor the evening of April 7th. It was my parent's anniversary and we stopped by their house around 9pm to wish them happy anniversary and have a piece of cake, on our way to the hospital. Ha! Got there and was 6cm dilated....water broke about 11pm....labored really well until about 2am, when things took a stand still and I needed some Pitocin to get the party started again. Pushed for 2 hours (OUCH!!!!) and at 6:09am, my beautiful baby boy was born! He was 7 lbs 3 oz (my biggest baby!) and 20 inches. It was love at first sight.
 
 
Let me tell you a little more about this boy that I love....
 
he is the best big brother. And I mean that wholeheartedly. He's super responsible, kind hearted and fatherly to his younger siblings. And I love how proud he is, to be a big brother. He'll carry the girls around like their his daughters, and he talks to them in this special little voice that he only uses with them. He's patient and caring and really, I couldn't ask for more. I can't wait until he's old enough to babysit because he will be perfect! He is mature way beyond his years. He says he wants a big family someday and I think he will make the best daddy. That makes my heart so happy.
 
This series of pictures, from his first time meeting Brylie, perfectly depict his personality.
 
 
 
 
 
 
he is passionate. Sports are a big part of our family, mostly because Adam was an athlete and then a coach. We've never pressured our kids to play (remember Brett....doesn't like contact sports. ;-) ), but Jake has a passion for sports that is hard to be matched. He lives and breathes them! In all honesty, he probably plays sports for 3-4 hours a day, outside of school. He'll shoot baskets in the pouring rain, he'll play catch for hours and hours, and if he has a friend over, they'll play football non-stop. We literally have to drag him into the house at night, sometimes with threats, because he wants to play forever! He's the kind of kid that would be content to have practice every single night! I love his passion and determination for the game. I hope it serves him well as an adult.
 
 
he is kind. His heart is so big and he is really thoughtful. In school, each one of his teachers has commented on the fact that Jake is the kind of kid who reaches out to those that don't necessarily fit in, or who struggle with school. He wants to be everyone's friend and he is so thoughtful about people. We've been planning his birthday party and he'd rather over-invite than risk hurting someone's feelings by not inviting them. And I really love that about him.
 
And his favorite thing...the Huskies. Duh. I mean, really, there isn't anything in life that he likes more than that. He plans to go to the University of WA and I have no doubt that he will. When he was in first grade, he missed one word on a spelling test (I think it was the only word he missed the whole year). He came home from school and sobbed when he walked in the door. I thought he was hurt and I got down to console him. He couldn't stop crying and I had no idea what was wrong. Finally, it came out, "I missed a word on my spelling test and now I'm worried I'll never get in to UW!" I tried to keep the laughter to myself as I consoled him and told him that the admissions counselors would most likely overlook the spelling error from first grade. ;-) My perfectionist boy! Ha!
 
 
However, t's not always perfect with him and we are definitely seeing some glimpses of pre-teen come out. #holdme I know there will be challenges ahead, but I sure am glad that God picked him to be our oldest, because he'll do a great job forging the way for his younger siblings.
 
 

 
I couldn't be happier to be his mom. And today, we celebrate his birth!
 
Here are a few of my favorite pictures of him, over the years.....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I love you to the moon and back, Jake!
 


12 comments:

  1. Double digits are great for making parents feel old aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures of Jake with his baby sis....oh my! You can see the love radiating!!!! Oh, they're making my heart melt! Happy Birthday, Jake! -Jess
    www.sweetlittleonesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure loved her then, and he loves her even more, now. I think that's my favorite part of parenting!

      Delete
  3. Happy, happy birthday, Jake! The pictures of him with his baby sister are absolutely priceless! They brought tears to my eyes. And, I had to giggle with his admissions story! We live in College Station, TX - home of Texas A&M University - so we are huge Aggie fans. I could have seen my son saying something similar when he was Jake's age! I also have a 10 year old daughter. #holdmetoo! Thanks for linking up with Waiting on...Wednesday! Hope to see you back this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Holly! Oh man, I can guess that you guy have some serious Aggie pride! What a fun area to live!!

      Delete