Tuesday, February 10, 2015

What's cookin?

It's been awhile since I've posted food, and it seems to be one of the most requested things on this blog.....so here goes! I've been doing quite a bit of cooking lately. Something about winter, and being cozy, I think! In the summer, it's almost all out on the grill, so I've got to take advantage of the cool, wet and windy temps. Here are two simple recipes that I think your family will love. Enjoy! XO

This first recipe is a yummy Black Bean & Quinoa Southwest Salad. Perfect for lunch or a quick dinner. We do either.



Ingredients:

2 cups quinoa (cook as directed)
1 can black beans
1 diced tomato
1 can corn
1 avocado
1 handful of chopped cilantro
1 handful of shredded cheese
salt & pepper to taste

Mix it all together, and voila! No, seriously, it's that easy. If you mix the quinoa in while it's hot, your cheese will melt and it will be more of a warm dish. I prefer to let my quinoa cool off and eat it as a cold salad. Either way, it's really good! My kids gobble it up and I love it because it's super healthy.



 
Cilantro Lime Crockpot Chicken
 
I found this recipe on Pinterest and modified it a bit for our family. It's really yummy, super easy (just my style) and makes great leftovers. I'm actually having it for lunch, again, today.
 
Ingredients:
 
4 chicken breast
3-4 limes
1 chopped onion
1 can chicken stock
2 handfuls of cilantro (real precise, I know) ;-)
1 avocado

Lay the chicken breast on the bottom of the crockpot, cover in chicken stock, squeeze limes over the top. Then, chop onions and sprinkle over the chicken and lay cilantro on top of entire mixture. Stems and all!


 
This is the chicken stock that I prefer to use. You can find it at Costco. I only used about 3/4 of this and put the rest in the fridge for later.
 
Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Once done, remove cilantro and throw away stems and large pieces. Remove the chicken, shred and put in a bowl.


 
Then, pour the liquid from the crockpot, over the top, mix together and add fresh cilantro and diced avocado. Roll up in tortillas and serve.


What's cookin in your house this week? I'd love to hear!

Linked up for the Hit Me with Your Best Shot!


1 comment:

  1. These look great. I love to make shredded chicken in the crockpot for tacos or bbq sandwiches. I will have to try that chicken stock. I like the reclosable lid, and Kirkland's brand is always great quality!

    ReplyDelete