Wednesday, January 21, 2015

House update

It's January. And each year, around this time, I get the itch to clean, re-organize, de-clutter and make changes.
 
When we moved into our house six years ago, I knew that I wanted to update the kitchen, and do it soon! Amazing how quickly six years passes and we still have done nothing. Well, except rip down the hideous ivy wallpaper, but that was prior to moving in. I love the space of our kitchen, but I absolutely loathe my cabinets. Our house was built in the late 90's when honey oak was "in". Well, honey oak is very OUT, so change needs to happen, ASAP.
 
Also, when we moved in, I painted the entire interior a mocha color. The décor has been very Starbucks-y {dark reds, browns, teals and golds} and I'm just plain tired of it. I'm ready for something new, fresh and different. Last year, our plan was to have our cabinets painted, countertops installed and new appliances put in. Instead, we took that money and cut down about 6 cedars in our backyard, bought a batting cage, a new big toy and did some major  in our yard. We blew the budget and knew we'd have to save up for another year, in order for any new projects to happen.
 
But, hello, the time is now. I've been browsing Pinterest looking for ideas and am going to include pictures of my dream. I *think* I have the wall color selected. It's "Dolphin Fin" by Behr. I had hubby paint a wall in the kitchen so I can sit on it for a few days.
 
 
 
 
Yesterday, I got a wild hair and posted about 20 décor items to a local buy/sell site. I sold our area rug in about 10 minutes and have a woman coming to get 3 sets of curtains. No turning back, now!!
 
Our biggest decision is going to be with the darn cabinets. We had it all figured out, we wanted white with a white granite or marble, countertop (with some grey and brown swirly accents). Then, my parents built their new home and have these gorgeous, espresso colored cabinets, and now I'm torn. Ahhh!! I'd still go with white countertops, but am not sure on cabinet colors. I love light and airy, so I'm not sure how espresso would do in our house. But with the light grey wall color, white trim and medium/dark flooring, will white look too clinical. I'm stuck.
 






 
What colors are you loving right now?? I need help! Who wants to come and design it all?? =)
 
XOXO


5 comments:

  1. I prefer the white but espresso would definitely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm leaning white, too! Thanks for your input! =)

      Delete
  2. I love the farmhouse, chippy paint, shabby chic look. Loved it forever. We bought a new and much bigger house and I felt it should be more sophisticated with dark woods and leather. 5 years later, I am swapping out my very expensive "sophisticated" furniture (my espresso wood Pottery Barn media console is now in my children's playroom) with my old chippy paint, farmhouse furniture. I could have saved a lot of money and time if I stayed true to what I really was drawn to. My two cents :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That is very helpful advice. I think the reason I'm drawn to white is because I've loved it forever. It seems a little more timeless than the sophisticated espresso (although I *really* love it)!

      Delete
  3. What did you decide Kelly? Just came across your blog via Five on Friday. We are 98% done completely gutting and remodeling our kitchen. The decisions are SO tough! We did white cabinets and black granite (looks so sharp!) on cabinets lining the wall and decided to do a beautiful dark island cabinet with thick light granite - we wanted this to be a focal point. I LOVE it! I could go on and on here, anyways good luck! I can't wait to see what you go with it. -Lauren (here was my inspo board http://southpearlliving.blogspot.com/2014/11/d-day.html)

    ReplyDelete