Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The truth about girls

Awhile back, I did a post about raising little boys. Remember here? Today, I want to talk about how completely different my world has been for the past (almost) 3 years, when our first little girl entered our lives.
 
I remember going into the ultrasound room and watching the technician move the wand around on my belly. I waited in anticipation as she looked for the gender and then she said the words, "well, it looks like it's a little GIRL!" I couldn't believe it. After 2 boys, I hardly knew what I'd do with a little girl. Adam and I sat in shock for awhile, and then idea grew on me and I became really excited. Something different and something new!

 

 
And the moment she was put into my arms, I had tears thinking about her precious little body and heart. There is much more of a protective feeling you have when you are holding a little girl. I want to lock her up and guard her from the tough parts of the world. There is so much responsibility wrapped up in parenting!!
 
So on to the differences.....
 


 
For starters, girls have a lot more clothing options. In all honesty, I think I love little boy clothes the most because you can make them look like tiny versions of a man. Button ups, sweaters, hoodies, jeans, etc. It's all so stinkin cute when it's a teeny tiny version. However, there are no accessories, and no options for anything other than long pants or shorts, long sleeves or short. The girl world rocked me....leggings, skirts, tights, jeggings, jeans, dresses, cardigans, button ups, shorts, tank tops, rompers, etc. SO MANY OPTIONS! Not to mention the bows, headbands, earrings, bracelets, and shoes. Don't get me started on shoes.


 
Another difference that I've noticed...girls (at least mine) will sit for so much longer. My girls are content to sit and color most of the day. This is a totally foreign world to me, as Brett used to say, "why am I in trouble?" when I'd ask him to sit and color with me. Haha! I mean, my girls can wrestle around and play with their brothers, but when given the choice, they prefer quiet activities like reading, coloring or playing with their princess castle. I often wonder what life is like for families with all girls. Is it so quiet and calm???
 

My girls are emotional, though! Oh the tears! Instead of a quick cry, it's a full on hysterical mess when she can't wear a dress out in the rain or I don't want to paint her nails right before bed. Most of the tears are over silly, irrational things. And often it's hair or clothing. Gah! What will the teenage years be like? Somebody hold me.

 
However, there is really nothing better than snuggling up with my girls, reading them a story and thinking about our life and our future. There are absolutely no guarantees, but I pray that I will get to help them get ready for school dances, their first date, a wedding and then the birth of babies someday.


 
I love that, for now, my girls love to shop with me. Even just a trip to the grocery store. The mere suggestion of going shopping sends my boys into a fit of panic. Often, tears. "Noooo!!! Why??? Can't you wait until dad gets home?" And so, usually, I do. It's not worth the battle. But my girls, on the other hand, LOVE it! Molly begs to go with me wherever I go. This is one of my favorite things! She's always had an unusually large vocabulary and I've had adult conversation with her from a very young age. I've taken her to coffee or for a manicure and we can chat like friends. I can't wait until Brylie can join in the conversation. Just the thought, makes me excited for our future.
 


 
Having a daughter is almost like seeing a version of yourself in a littler form. It's such a surreal feeling at times. Especially when I look at Molly, who is almost identical to me at that age, I find myself wondering what I was like and how I would have reacted in the same situation.

 
 
Little girls bring such a sweetness to our family--they are the sugar and the spice. Adam always calls them his heart. Their tiny voices, their innocent questions, their elaborate ideas and their simple dreams. I never knew how much I would love having little girls. Especially sisters. I'll save that for an entirely different post, but man, oh man, it's the best. I could probably do with a little less whine, but it's a small tradeoff for a whole lot of love!! My girls have opened a part of my heart that I never knew existed.


 
And the thought of them getting older, although a little sad, makes me excited for our relationship to grow. There is something very special about girls and their mamas. A friendship for a lifetime. Or at least, I'll pray for that!





No comments:

Post a Comment