Saturday, November 8, 2014

Please keep the sickness far, far away!

Oh man, am I beat. Totally, completely, beat. If you've been following me on Instagram, or paying attention to previous posts, you've probably noticed that the sick bug has gone through our house in the past 2 weeks. I feel really fortunate that, for the most part, my kids stay really healthy. However, we tend to get hit hard once a year (with the pukey nasty bug) and, well, it seems to have come and gone. Thank goodness. However, Brylie hasn't been able to kick it and return to normal just yet.
 
She had the pukey bug for about 5 days last week...to the point that I brought her to urgent care and had several chats with the nurse and on-call doctor in that period of time. At one point they advised me to take her to the ER. But, my mom instincts told me she was on the mend, and sure enough there was no more puke after that point. I don't know about you, but the thought of taking a baby to the ER, to be exposed to all the nasty illnesses out there, was just not something I was super excited about.
 
Fast forward a few days and she was sick, AGAIN! Ahh. Wednesday I noticed that she felt very warm when she woke up in the morning and then she was just a little off, all day. She's working on her very last tooth, and it's one of the painful "eye teeth", so I chalked it up to that. When the fever continued to persist and she just didn't seem like her normal self, I decided to take her back to urgent care again today.
 
And I'm SO glad I did.
 
Poor girl has a urinary tract infection. The doctor told me they can be fairly common in baby girls who have had a bought of diarrhea because, well, as you can imagine, it's hard to keep certain bodily fluids out of <ahem> certain areas of the body. Sorry.
 
Annnnyway, her white blood cell numbers were pretty high and the doctor felt that she needed a strong antibiotic, in the form of an injection, to fight the infection. Then they'll bring her back tomorrow for more blood work, to see if things are improving. If not, we'll be looking at a kidney ultrasound and some sort of dye test. Either way, we've got appts the next 2 days and then 10 days from then. If it's not one thing, it's something else, right?
 
I was just thrilled to finally have an answer for her pathetic, lethargic and extra snuggly self.
 
Before bed tonight, and of course when the hubby was gone with our oldest son, at a Husky football game, Brylie vomited EVERYWHERE. And I'll spare you the details, but it's safe to say it wasn't pretty and besides her being covered head to toe, so was I. Alone with 3 kids.  
 
And then I was reminded of my post from the other day and I took a deep breath, realized that this time is fleeting and tried to be thankful because not everyone has the opportunity to clean up puke for a baby they so desperately wanted. And really, in that moment, those thoughts helped me to stay calm and focus on getting her cleaned up and in bed.
 
She's currently sleeping and seems to be doing okay for now. But, if you are the praying type, I would love prayers for a complete recovery, for her. And prayers for sleep. Something that has been lacking in our house, for at least 2 weeks. Oh, and for good measure, I'd love some prayers for patience for me.
 
Having sick babies is so hard. The worst is to watch them in pain and have them unable to say what is going on. Feeling helpless is one of the most difficult aspects of parenting.

I'll leave you with a couple sweet pictures I've taken of our sick girl in the past 2 weeks. Somehow, her limp and lethargic little body has been extra cute and cuddly.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

I hope your weekend is less eventful and much more restful than ours!!
XOXO


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness...that last picture is the saddest thing. Hope she's better soon!

    ReplyDelete