Sunday, November 16, 2014

A very special day

Today was the best day. Anyone who knows me well, knows how much I love birthdays. I make birthdays (and 1/2 birthdays) a HUGE deal for my kids and my awesome hubby tries to do the same for me.
 
It all goes back to my childhood, I think. My mom made birthdays a big deal for us. I remember that one year, she took my 1/2 birthday off of school (she was a kindergarten teacher), to throw me a surprise 1/2 birthday party with the kids in our neighborhood. Since then, birthdays have been a big deal to every member of our family.
 
I don't know what it is, but I really, really love birthdays. Even if I'm feeling old these days. I mean, 34 is pretty much mid-30's, which is pretty much middle aged, right?!?
 
Last night, we celebrated with my entire family. My mom asked me what I wanted her to make for dinner and I requested a seafood chowder, grilled veggies and bread. Yummo. She's quite the cook and it turned out better than I could have imagined! So fun to celebrate with the people I love.

 
 

This morning started with me sleeping until 7:30am. For some of you, that might be nothing, but for me, it was HUGE! I'm such a morning person and I couldn't believe how good it felt to sleep past 6:00am. The kids were so excited for me to wake up so I could open their cards and gifts. And Adam made me a delicious breakfast. He totally spoiled me today.



After that, he told me to do nothing, so nothing I did. I played around on my phone, read stories on the couch with the kids and took a 30 minute shower. Heaven, for a mom!
 
Part of my birthday surprise was my sister picking me up to take me shopping and for lunch. She's a great shopping partner and we pretty much cleaned up at Nordstrom Rack. We are going to Hawaii for 2 weeks next month and the clearance racks were filled with great summer clothes for ridiculously cheap prices! I also found a pair of Vigoss jeans for $10!!!! No joke. There was one pair on the entire rack and it happened to be in my size. They fit perfectly. A match made in heaven.


 


One of the best parts of the day was on our drive home when my sister suggested we stop at Starbucks to take advantage of the BOGO holiday drinks (last day today!). My hubby and kids were there to surprise me! How fun.


We drove home, hung out with the kids, had my favorite Papa Murphy's Thai Chicken pizza for dinner and played. Once I sat down for the night, Adam handed me this blue drink. Not sure what it is, but it's good! And although it looks huge, it's not very strong. He wanted me to drink it out of the special "birthday glass." Hehe.


 
I was completely spoiled with gifts from friends and family....nail polishes, new shampoos and conditioners, stationary, Starbucks cards, a purse, a winter headband, gift cards, a Seahawks shirt and more. See what I mean!?!




Getting older doesn't have to be depressing. I look forward to each year and can't wait to see the many blessings life will bring. 34 is going to be my best year yet!


1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday! So glad you were spoiled by your people :)

    -Claire
    www.fashionandfeathers.com

    ReplyDelete