Wednesday, October 1, 2014

mamas of the world

 
Being new to the world of (public) blogging, I've learned a lot about myself and others through this venture. About being a mom, a wife, a friend and a blogger. It's not easy to put myself out there for the world to see. Furthermore, open to scrutiny and judgement. 

For the most part, I've been SO overwhelmed with the outpouring of support I've received. So much so, that I've been moved to tears on several occasions. Friends, both far and near who have called or texted with words of encouragement and support, even former students and girls I coached have sent heart felt messages. I am humbled and grateful.

Writing a blog is something I've thought about and prayed about for a long time. It is a creative outlet of sorts. Not intended to be anything but support, encouragement, laughs and friendship.

With that said, I saw an article on Facebook about women being made to feel like bad moms when they read blogs. This made me sad. Why do we have to compare ourselves and size ourselves up to others? Why do we have to be jealous and intimidated? Wouldn't the world be a better place if we could support each other and rally around each other, rather than feel self concious and lacking, somehow? 

Motherhood is one of the most challenging jobs of all time. Seeking advice, tips, looking at pictures, reading stories...they seem to help me in my journey. To know I'm not alone when my child is using naughty launguage, peeing in inappropriate locations, shouting at strangers or singing aloud at any chance they can get. Somehow, being a part of a community of mothers makes me feel not so alone in my very real struggles.

I wonder if we all took this perspective, instead of one filled with jealousy and insecurity? Rejoice in others' happiness, instead of feeling bad or somehow less. Stop comparing and start caring. When moms rally together, we are a force to be reckoned with. 

I'd like to challenge every woman out there...whether you are a mom, or someday hope to be one. Whether you are new to this journey or a seasoned veteran. Whether you've had losses, sickened or hurt. Let's lift each other up and encourage, instead of judge and hate.

I don't care if you breast feed or formula feed, co-sleep or not. I don't care if you believe in natural childbirth or used drugs, whether you work or stay home. The point is...we are doing the best we can.

The world is filled with so much cruelty and hate--the best thing we can do is rally together as moms, and women. Life is not a competition. In fact, to your child, you are better than an Olympic gold medalist, better than a sports star, a favorite cartoon character or the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize. Your children need you to be confident. They need you to let go of insecurities and embrace motherhood. The good, the bad and the ugly.

I hope in reading this blog you are inspired on your own journey. I believe in you. Do you?
 
I leave you with kid president. This is for all the mamas in the world! You are loved.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment