Tuesday, September 9, 2014

What's for lunch?!


Salad. My favorite meal. I eat one just about every day. The best thing about salads? No recipe, throw in whatever tastes/sounds good, easy clean up and healthy. Win.
 
Not kidding, I come home from teaching every day and make a salad.
 
Salad must-haves:
spinach leaves
black beans
tomatoes
avocado
pepper
cilantro
 
Other items I like to add in:
couscous
imitation crab
shredded chicken
corn
shredded cheese
celery
bacon bits
garbanzo beans
diced pepper
diced carrots


 
I buy the canned organic beans from Costco. You know, because I love Costco.
Rinse well or they have a weird film and juice on them.
 

 
Dice up all of your veggies.
 
 


I like a very large salad, so I take a generous handful of spinach.
 
 


In this particular salad, I have black beans, couscous, peppers, tomato, avocado, and cilantro. I didn't use a dressing because their was so much flavor in the couscous (I made the garlic Far East brand). Typically, I'll either use a light ranch or the Olive Garden Light Italian dressing.
 
 
This salad, was made with romaine (I had just run out of spinach), shredded chicken, celery, tomato, avocado, cilantro and bacon bits.
 
Looking at these pictures makes my mouth water. And I just finished eating one!!
 
-----------------------
 
 
Another easy lunch...especially for your kiddos who might be in school....are these turkey wraps. Jake is in a class with a student who has a severe peanut allergy. Therefore, the good ole PBJ is out of the question. These wraps are a great alternative and super easy to make ahead of time. In fact, I had the boys help me with these.
 
Lay a tortilla flat, spread hummus over the entire thing, lay sliced turkey, cheese and lettuce on top, tuck the sides in and roll up. Then, slice down the middle to create two halves. They fit perfectly in their bento-style containers and are a hit with the kids!


 
I love lunch! What are some of your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment