Monday, September 22, 2014

A peek into our home--the downstairs bathroom

 

 
Alright, alright, so I know a bathroom isn't a super exciting room to look at, but I love the way ours turned out. As I've mentioned in previous posts, we bought our house as a short sale and have had some work to do (mostly cosmetic and a few structural changes) over the past 6 years. One of the last rooms we left was the downstairs 1/2 bath.
 
When we moved in, it was painted a muted teal color and didn't bother me as much as other rooms, so we left it. About a year ago, I got the itch for change, so I went to Pinterest and fell in love with the thick horizontal stripes. My hubby is a master painter. For real, he's really, really good. And he wasn't intimidated by my request for change.
 
Selecting the color is always the hardest part and I was struggling between a light grey and a dark grey. Our downstairs office, which is next door, is a dark grey, but I wanted a little contrast, so I went with the light, and I'm so happy I did. I love the way it pops against the white stripes. I also love the pop of red. I figured that when I'm tired of the red, I'll easily be able to change it out to something different. The room is so tiny that it took just a few fun accessories to make the room feel complete. I don't like busy, and this was a great balance for me.
 
The wreath is a Christmas decoration that I've had for a long time. Somehow, in this space, it didn't feel holiday-ish and I've been fine with leaving it up year round. By next year, I'm sure I'll be ready for a change, but it's working for me, now. I found the fun bathroom prints at Ross, the red vase was a gift from our realtor when we bought our house and the sign on the toilet was a gift from a friend. Super simple and easy décor.

With little boys, I had to get rid of the rug because I felt like it just soaked up the smell of pee. Instead, I try to wipe the floor and walls around the toilet, at least once every other day or so. And usually, I can keep the smell of urine to a minimum. All the boy moms of the world, rejoice! Some simple hand soap, a cute hand towel and voila. A complete bathroom!
 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment