Friday, August 15, 2014

Breakfast time!

I've gotta be honest, breakfast is not my favorite meal of the day. I know it's the most important, but I'd be fine living on coffee from about 7am until lunchtime. But, I don't. Instead, I usually pick off of whatever I make for my kids and typically end with a banana. With that being said, I (or my hubby, on weekends) do make breakfast for my kiddos. Here are some of our favorite breakfast items. Most of them are pretty quick. Adam enjoys getting out the griddle and doing the big, fancy breakfast thing, but I dread having a big mess to clean up before 8 o'clock in the morning.


Easy breakfast ideas for kids:

Cereal. Is there anything easier? Our favorites: Cheerios, Special K Red Berries, Honey Bunches of Oats

Oatmeal. Just old fashioned oats, combined with a sprinkling of brown sugar, a splash of milk and some raisins on top. I'm not a raisin eater, so I generally do a splash of almond milk with a handful of walnuts and craisins.

Scrambled eggs and toast. Usually, the kids will pile the eggs on the toast and eat it like a sandwich.



Breakfast burritos. Sautee' diced peppers, onion and spinach, add egg and scramble it all together. Top with shredded cheese about one minute before done. Pour into a tortilla. Roll up and serve. Definitely a favorite.

Pancakes. For variety, we will add blueberries or chocolate chips. Most of the time, the kids want peanut butter with syrup on top.

French toast. We use whole wheat bread, dipped in an egg mixture (egg, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and a pinch of salt). Cook on griddle for a few minutes on each side, until brown. Serve with butter and syrup, and sprinkle powdered sugar on top.

Toast. To add some protein, I use either peanut butter or almond butter and if they are lucky, we will drizzle honey over the top.

Fruit & yogurt parfaits. Zoi honey yogurt is our favorite. Mix with granola and frozen blueberries. And serve.
This is my go-to breakfast. Delish.




With most of these meals, I try to do a fruit on the side. We go through bananas like nobody's business. I'm talking two large bunches a week. I also try to keep berries on hand. If we have those, I'll put a handful of berries on their plate. Applesauce is an easy option...especially in the winter when there is a limited supply of fresh berries in the stores.

 
 
I'm always looking for easy breakfast ideas. What do you eat in your house?

4 comments:

  1. We love muffins. I can make a batch if I have time one night and then have enough for two or three mornings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muffins are a great idea! I need to do more of those because I can make them ahead of time. Brett would probably love to help. =)

      Delete
  2. Have you tried breakfast cookies? Mix 4 mashed bananas, 3 cups uncooked oatmeal, 1 3/4 cups applesauce, and 1 cup fresh or dried berries. Drop on a cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 min. They're really yummy, really filling, and really healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Amy! I just added it to my list of recipes to try before school starts. =)

    ReplyDelete